Monday, August 20, 2007
last nights fishing
Well lets recap, the season started strong. you could do nothing wrong. Many days with a few three Pounders being the norm. The variety was entertaining as well, small mouth, larg mouth, huge Rockies, pike, muskie, and even a bow fin. Bass masters came to town and everyone was having a good time. The water temp hit 77 degrees or so and the fishing slowed to a crawl. Keep in mind I do not troll. Since i am the new guy here I wont make fun of how mindlessly boring it is I will only say that I under stand the disadvantage I am at and accept the consequences. well here we are august, the weather has started to cool and the fishing still sucks. So last night me and my usual fishing buddy head out at five o'clock we started drifting toward navy islands southern tip. I was using a small rattle trap and my first mate was using a purple soft plastic. right away the purple plastic provide a strike. Looking at the fish finder I noticed we were in ten feet of water and the temp was 72 ( 6 degrees cooler than a week ago). We drifted over some great looking weed beds and deep holes within minutes the plastic had a muskie to the side of the boat. We got a good look at him and he shook the hook ... dam! Then it was the rattle trap a nice bass . But again he stormed off into a pile of weeds and gone. We fished the area for 30 minutes or so and nothing. I switched to a rubber crayfish and my mate went to a deep diving broke back crayfish pattern . We move maby a quarter mile to the north western side of grand island. twelve feet of water working our bait as deep and as slow as we could provided us each a nice larg mouth. As we drifted we could see bass but most were not interested and contrary to the spring when they would almost challenged the boat these fish were quite concerned with it. Moving again back to navy island and drifting toward the northern tip. It was getting dark and we thought the fish would start to come up so we moved into four feet of water. the rubber crayfish put a smallie in the boat and we both had several more strikes. twilight came and then complete darkness. The only light was shimmering across the top of the water from the Indian casino in Niagara falls. Its time to go I muttered "why don't you just fish on the way out I have to get us out of these weeds". I think it was because we couldn't see well enough to work our bait around the cover but my first mate decided to lob a popper about ten feet from shore. it was like a crocodile waiting in ambush something huge jumped and took the bait. and was lost almost as fast. Next cast was in deeper water and maby 20 yards from the first with the same result. ok just a fluk. just as he was about to pull that cast in the boat something hit again, something big. What the hell is going on here I yelled this is nuts im afraid to put my hands in the water. I stop the trolling motor and we both used the same technique for a wile. Nothing but tangled line came of that idea, it was just to dark so we packed up and went in. but i guarantee we are going to perfect our twilight fishing and find out what monster lives in those weeds at nine thirty at night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
just cheking this out
Post a Comment